Monday, May 24, 2021

Mental Health Awareness - Esteemed SL


June is Mental Health Awareness Month and I wanted to do something different. I think we are all familiar with the importance of mental health and taking mental health day. I think a lot of issues stem from not knowing where to get those resources. Last summer I came across a program called Esteemed when a friend told me about it. I was working self care and figured, hey why not try it.

Hey Haylz it is good to see you again. I reached out to interview you because as you know June is Mental Health Awareness Month. I really enjoyed your Esteemed program you did last summer and I just wanted to sit down and chat about it. 

What do you think the biggest need for mental health is? 

Hi Melanie! It's nice to see you again too! Well... I think the biggest need for mental health is for it be normalized. If we accept that this is an illness and something out of our control that's the first step for people to recognize it's okay to ask for help. It's not then looked at as, "Oh you're just crazy, get it together." We are becoming educated on how mental health is about brain activity and knowing how to take care of ourselves and our loved ones. After that, we can then go find the adequate resources and simply ask for help without judgement.


Why is mental health awareness so important to you? 

Mental Health Awareness is so important to me as I suffer from Bi Polar Disorder 1. I am a very private person and never tell people due to the stigma. After living with it, learning how to cope, what medication works and what I need to do in regards to self care for 13 years I am finally happy to be in my shoes! =] Bringing awareness to mental health shows how much someone can prosper and succeed. On a daily basis I follow a medical care plan (drugs, shrink advice etc) and believe in a higher purpose. When I follow my personalized care plan this makes me be my best self. No one can do anything alone and we all need to see that it's okay to ask for help and to also not be okay. We all have to remember everyday isn't easy! Take the time to indulge in your down days, take to the bed but just know your life has one hell of a purpose. You are amazing! You are talented! No one is like you! Don't waste what's in the mirror! Affirmations! Affirmations! Affirmations! =]



What made you start Esteemed? 

A very near and dear friend on second life wanted to kill herself. It broke my heart because she is one of the sweetest people I know. She isn't dramatic and she never seeks the wrong attention. I could talk to her all day till I was blue in the face but that wasn't going to help her situation. So that's when I sat tirelessly for several days and worked off a self esteem workshop I completed in real life. We all know you have to be crafty with roleplay and equipment to emulate anything from real life into teleport it into second life. For the record, my friend did attend Esteemed, she utilized all the tools provided and is in a much better head space now. =]



In the first session we went over a wide variety of content. I still have my vision board and use it to this day. How did you decide on the content for Esteemed? How are you updating it and changing it as time goes along?

Oh to reiterate on the above, it was a combination of an all female "Three Day Self Esteem Workshop" (real life) and a friend in second life's need for it. I've been updating it a lot actually. I've found the need for one on one workshops, Greek Life workshops, Men only workshops, yoga only etc. I feel the update needed most was for men especially, as they tend to feel they don't need to speak up on their issues and get some help. I've catered things to not be as structured and allow people more personalized options.


Do you have any new or long term goals for Esteemed?

Consistency is key with any business, I feel as long as I keep the fb updated with Affirmations people will see Esteemed is there. I do post any new ideas I currently have and always welcome new ones. I'm focused on pop up workshops for sororities and fraternities at the moment. Which is basically Esteemed Workshop in a box, taken to a location of your choice for a 2 hour session. A long term goal I have is to take people under my wing and train them to be a lecturer and do the workshops with me by assisting. Anything we have that's innovative should never die with us. Always share enough of your ideas to a protégée to keep the goodness going.



What is next for Esteemed?

I would say next up for Esteemed is yoga! People tend to love when I do it because of my 'accent' lol and I am quite good at it. I use soothing music incorporated with my voice added in sporadically encouraging you to breathe and be mindfully focused in the moment. These are for anyone but I'd like to get them out there in large groups and Greek Life is just that! It's a wonderful way to combine something which benefits your mental health and increases your bonding.


Please make sure to follow Esteemed on Facebook. For more information, message Halz on Facebook. I hope some of you sign up for her program, it is really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment