Monday, May 27, 2019

"CELEBRATE NATIONAL MEMORIAL DAY WITH THOSE YOU LOVE!"

                                                              IT'S MEMORIAL DAY!
Memorial Day is the one day of the year that we celebrate and remember those we loved and lost across the U.S. This year we celebrate Memorial Day  on May 27th, it isn't always on the same day but it is always on a Monday. The traditional way that my family spends this holiday, is by barbecuing, packing it up for a picnic by the lake, and on the way home stop by the cemetery to visit those that we love. The world remembers our Veterans that have passed serving our country as well. I live in another state from my my family, so I won't be able to visit the cemetery this year but I will barbecue and have a picnic with the ones I still have here with me in remembrance of those I've loved, lost and served.

Memorial Day was a response to the unprecedented carnage of the Civil War, in which a total of some 620,000 soldiers died between both sides. The loss of life and its effect on communities throughout the country led to several spontaneous commemorations of the dead.
The holiday was long known as Decoration Day for the practice of decorating graves with flowers, wreaths, and flags. The name Memorial Day goes back to 1882, but the older name didn't disappear until after World War II. It wasn't until 1967 that federal law declared "Memorial Day" the official name. 
So to all of you out there, make this a day to honor and remember!

Written By: Dr. Sugababy Brite aka Big Sis Keep It 100

No comments:

Post a Comment