Wednesday, March 9, 2016

National Sleep Awareness Week 2016 ~ Are You Getting Enough Sleep?






Are you getting enough sleep? Just what is enough or the right amount of sleep? Depending on your age there is a suggested amount of sleep that we should get. The question is, do we really get this amount of sleep? Speaking for myself, I am lucky to get a decent 5-6 hours and that is not for me not wanting to sleep, but that is because I have a very hard time getting to sleep.

Everyone, humans and animals need sleep just like water, food and oxygen is needed to survive. Sleep is a vital indicator of our overall health and well-being, as stated by sleepfoundation.org. We all know that getting a good night's sleep is very important, however not many will get the right amount of sleep each night. If you are like myself, you probably have forgotten what true rested sleep feels like.

Did you know?

Some stimulants such as coffee, energy drinks, alarm clocks, external lights, including those from devices such as our cell phones etc, gets in the way of our natural sleep/wake cycle.
Many things can interfere with our sleep pattern such as, stress, work schedule, household schedule and so forth and so on.

How Much Sleep Do We Really Need?



This chart is a estimate of the amount of sleep people should have because pinpointing it is nearly impossible. There is recommended “recommended” windows, identifies the "rule-of-thumb" amounts experts agree upon.

It is very important to pay attention to what your body needs are by assessing how you feel with different levels of sleep amounts, (https://sleepfoundation.org)

You have to think about how your moods are when you get enough sleep versus when you barely get sleep. If you are someone that depends on coffee to keep you alert throughout the day, you would want to check your sleeping pattern. 
I was excited about National Sleep Awareness Week because of the hard time I have getting to sleep and while reading through the National Sleep Foundation's website I found some very helpful information that could be contributing to my lack of sleep. For one is stress, worrying, overthinking, my sleep schedule, exercising, the ambiance of my bedroom, the comfort of my mattress and pillows and what I may be drinking. I have learned to turn my cellphone on a timer where it goes into a special mode at midnight but as I'm thinking about it, I may need to change that to a earlier time. What happens is, the light on my phone goes dim, the sound turns off and only rings for specific people, no alerts or anything comes through with sound until 7 am the next morning. 
Begin a path to a healthier you by making sleep a priority.

For more information please check out https://sleepfoundation.org/SAW for more in detail information.

Big Sister On Point

Pages



No comments:

Post a Comment